1/22/2012

Weekend




I saw this a few months ago at the Brixton Ritzy on my own (as per usual...). I had no idea what it would be about, i just saw an excellent percentage on rottentomatoes (94%). When I found myself at the screening with about seventy Vauxhall gay bears and no feminine presence other than myself, I got the hint. Yay! A gay film!

The Weekend here starts on Friday night, at a gay bar. Reserved Nottingham lifeguard Russell, after a gathering with his straight friends, goes cruising in a gay bar on his own, and picks up outgoing Glen. 

The morning after the first night, Glen gets a tape recorder out, and asks Russell very intimate questions for an art project (a bit of Sex lies and videotapes...). Their own encounter is discussed as well as more general questions about what it means to be gay nowadays. This is no ordinary end to a one night stand... And as the two end up spending the weekend together, having sex, staying in, going out, discussing many things, we feel like we're there, and we're sad to know their romance has a deadline : Glen is moving to Portland on the Sunday night.

The dialogue throughout the film is so natural, we feel we get to know them in 'real time', just as they do over those 48 hours. Should they reveal as much as they can in the short time they're given, or not even bother at all?

One of the best films I've seen in 2011. It's just really sweet (just be ready for some anal sex).


No comments:

Post a Comment